Coldstream FC 1-4 Leith Athletic FC (28.03.15)

Coldstream FC 1-4 Leith Athletic FC
King Cup, Quarter-Final
Saturday 28th March 2015, 3:00pm
at Home Park, Coldstream

Leith Athletic will travel to Spartans on the 28th March in the King Cup semi-final, following a 4-1 victory over Coldstream FC at a blustery Home Park in the quarter-final.

The visitors started the game brightly and thought that they'd taken the lead in only the 3rd minute.  A short corner from Jack Brien to Euan Campbell seen his cross into the box diverted goal-wards by Steven Glynn.  The centre-backs effort appeared to cross the line, only to be clawed back out by Mark Walters.  Much to the amazement of both sets of players, the referee waved play on, before booking Campbell for his protests.

Coldstream took the lead on 28 minutes.  Kris O'Neil picked the ball up in midfield and it founds it way to John Crawford.  He swept a pass wide to Arnaud Gauthier who drove down the line, before exchanging passes with Jamie Dixon.  The ball was squared and Regan Graham had the easiest of tap in's.

Leith got back into the game with six minutes remaining of the first half.  Keith Murray picked up the ball wide right and played a pass into the path of the over-lapping Chris Barrie.  His ball into the box found Robbie Mason who composed himself well, before firing home.

Half-Time: Coldstream FC 1-1 Leith Athletic FC

With conditions getting tougher, it took until the 70th minute for Leith to take the lead.  Campbell picked the ball up in midfield and moved it forward to Murray.  His ball into the channel found John Ferguson whose cut back found Campbell who'd continued his run.  With the aid of a deflection, that ball found its way beyond Walters and into the back of the net.

Murray then got his 27th competitive goal of the season with five minutes remaining.  A free kick by Michael Allan was held up in the wind and Leith pounced on possession. Mason picked the ball up 40 yards form goal and slipped the ball into the path of Murray. His effort from just inside the box went into the top left hand corner of the net to make it 3-1.

The scoring as complete in injury time when a loose throw in was picked up in the middle of the park.  The ball was played wide to Lewis Tracey who drove to the line.  His cross into the box was missed by Murray, but Under 20's captain, Sean Melvin was on hand to slot the ball home for his first competitive goal for the 1st Team.

Full-Time: Coldstream FC 1-4 Leith Athletic FC

Full match highlights are available on our You Tube Channel.

Leith Athletic FC: Fairnie, Barrie, Brien, Lowson, Glynn, Burns, Beaton, Campbell, Murray, Ferguson, Murphy.  Subs: Gordon, Black, Leslie, Tracey, Melvin, Mason.

Coldstream FC: Walters, McLeod, Graham, Marc, Allan, Johnson, Gauthier, Dixon, Crawford, O'Neil, Rutherford. Subs: Cassard, Oliver, Heugh.

Referee: Boise Allan (Edinburgh)

Managers' Comments:

"Anyone who thought that we could just turn up on Saturday and win with ease was wrong.  Coldstream have had a hard time this season, but Home Park is never an easy place to go.  Add in a bumpy pitch and horrendous playing conditions and both sets of players deserve some credit for the efforts they gave.

We have a few guys who have been touch and go with knocks lately and with three players away for the weekend and one suspended, it gave us an opportunity to give Neil Fairnie and Jack Brien from our under 20's squad their competitive debut for the 1st Team.  Both have trained with us quite a bit of late and I thought both done very well for their first game.

The conditions were tough on Saturday and whilst we see games called off for the rain and snow, we never hear of games going off with the wind.  At times, it was unplayable on Saturday, but we stuck to our task well and I'm delighted that we're into another semi-final.

We started the game well and 'scored' after only three minutes, but for the referee to wave play on.  I'm over 50-yards away and I saw the ball hit the inside of the net.  He was 30 yards closer and on the same line as me, so how he never seen it, I do not know.  The reaction from both sets of players told its own story for me, however they say these decisions even themselves out over the course of a season, so we'll wait and see.

I try not to criticise officials as I know how hard a job it is out there, especially with no assistants, but the biggest concern for me, is that you can't talk to them now.  We had two players booked for dissent on Saturday and both bookings came through errors that the referee made.  Now I know that our guys are no angels, but when you can't ask a referee to explain a decision without being booked, it's no wonder that the gap between players and match officials is widening.

Whilst we went 1-0 down, we were playing into the wind and I was confident we'd spend more time on the ball 2nd half.  We scored a good goal just before the break and then added three more later on, with Sean Melvin scoring his first goal for the 1st team, having scored the night previously against Whitehill Welfare for the 20's.

We're now at the business end of the season and every game from now until mid-May is the proverbial cup final.  If someone had said to me at the start of the season that we'd have won a cup, be in another two cup finals, a semi-final and in contention for the league come the 1st April, I'd have called them a fool.  Football is a funny game though and it's all to play for now!"



Leith Athletic on Twitter Leith Athletic on Facebook

Home | News | Sponsors | Teams | History | Merchandise | Kit | Resources | Testimonials | Contacts

Website developed by Neil Masters. All material is copyrighted to Leith Athletic. All rights reserved.