Coldstream FC 0-5 Leith Athletic FC (28.02.15)

Coldstream FC 0-5 Leith Athletic FC
East of Scotland Premier League
Saturday 28th February 2015, 2:00pm
at Home Park, Coldstream

Four goals in the opening twenty-nine minutes seen Leith Athletic extend their lead at the top of the East of Scotland Premier League, following a comprehensive victory at Home Park on Saturday.

It took just ten minutes for the visitors to open the scoring.  James Hainey picked the ball up in the Coldstream half and played it wide to Lachlan Thom.  His effort from 20 yards was parried out by Mark Walters and John Ferguson was on hand to tap the ball in.

Leith extended their lead on 17 minutes.  Lewis Tracey played the ball wide to Kerr Allan and he was upended in the box by Axel Cassard.  Grant Burns stepped up to take the kick and sent Walters the wrong way to make it 2-0.

With just twenty minutes on the clock, it was 3-0.  Following good build up play down the right, the visitors were awarded a corner kick.  Jamie Lauder took the corner and his effort was turned in to his own net by Arnaud Gauthier.

On 29 minutes, Leith made it 4-0.  A ball into the box by Burns was headed clear by Valentin Marc. The ball fell to Lauder who played it inside to Tracey. He drove towards goal and bent a left foot effort into the bottom corner.

Half-Time: Coldstream FC 0-4 Leith Athletic FC

Into the second half and Coldstream tried to get into the game.  A passback to Iain Gordon was knocked into the air, but John Crawford couldn't get his effort on target and blasted over.

A tough task was made even more difficult on the hour when a fracas on the far side seen Coldstreams Michael Allan throw the ball at Hainey.  Allan was dismissed from the park, with Hainey cautioned for his part in the process.

It was 5-0 in the 81st minute following a good passing move by the side form Leith. Thom picked the ball up in midfield and played it into the channel for Hainey. He held off his man and played it square to Lauder. Thom continued his run into the box and was played in by Lauder, before calmly slotting the ball home.

With minutes remaining, Leith were awarded their second spot kick of the day when Hainey was fouled in the box by Cassard.  The under 20's striker stepped up to take the kick, but it was well saved by Walters.

Full-Time: Coldstream FC 0-5 Leith Athletic FC

Full highlights are available on our You Tube Channel

Leith Athletic FC: Gordon, Allan, Barrie, Glynn, Melvin, Burns, Tracey, Lauder, Hainey, Ferguson, Thom. Subs: Mason, Lowson, Campbell, Black, Leslie.

Coldstream FC: Walters, Cassard, Marc, Allan, Ainslie, Tweddle, Strangeways, Neill, Crawford, O'Neil, Gauthier.  Subs: McLeod, Rutherford, Graham, Oliver, Johnson.

Referee: Paul Hanlon (Edinburgh)

Managers' Thoughts:

"We've never had the best of records at Coldstream, so to start the game as we did made a potentially tough tie, a pretty comfortable afternoon.  We knew that Coldstream had been playing well of late and their results against Spartans and Civil meant that we went down there knowing that we'd have to play well.

The first half was one of the best first half performances from us this season.  We're not renowned for being quick out of the blocks, but we were on Saturday and what a difference it made. You have days where you create lots of chances, but nothing falls for you in the box. Saturday wasn't one of those days and everything we hit seemed to go in.

Second half, it was important to try and keep the tempo high, which we did pretty well, but it was good to get through the game with no more injuries and no silly bookings.

It was well know that we were light on bodies and whilst we listed five subs, only two of them were capable of going on.  Of the two, Robbie {Mason} had been toiling all week with the flu and Neil {Lowson} hadn't kicked a ball in six weeks following an injury.

As a result, James Hainey and Sean Melvin from our Under 20's both started the game.  Both had played 90-minutes the night before against Spartans for the 20's, but they were both excellent and were still putting in 100% in the latter stages.

We now have a King Cup tie away to Burntisland next week, followed by the League Cup semi-final against Easthouses.  We have seven league games left and need to put as many points on the board as possible."



Leith Athletic on Twitter Leith Athletic on Facebook

Home | News | Sponsors | Teams | History | Merchandise | Kit | Resources | Testimonials | Contacts

Website developed by Neil Masters. All material is copyrighted to Leith Athletic. All rights reserved.