History

1996 to present

Leith Athletic Football Club was re-instated in 1996 by Gerry Freedman to give kids the opportunity to play for their local team but more importantly keep them off the streets.

The club in now one of the largest juveniles clubs in Scotland having players from 5 to 21 in the juvenile ranks and also a successful East of Scotland team.

Read more: 1996 to present

1887 to 1955

Leith Athletic FC was founded in 1887 in the Port of Leith, just to the east of Edinburgh. In 1891 they replaced Glasgow side Cowlairs in the Scottish Football League. They played at various grounds before settling into the old Logie Green Park in 1904.

The clubs early colours were sometimes described as chocolate and cream but, according to SFA and SFL records researched by Alick Milne, they were in fact maroon and white: by the time the club was in the Scottish League, they were wearing black and white.

Read more: 1887 to 1955

Honors role

Below is a list of players from LAFC that have progressed into a semi-professional or professional playing capacity.

Read more: Honors role

Long serving members of LAFC

NameCapacityTerm
Gerry Freedman Chairman 1996 - 2010
Sandra Waddell Treasurer 1996 - 2010
Richard Smith Secretary 1996 - 2010
Albert Bungay Committee 1996 - 2010
Kevin Freedman Player 1996 - 2010
Paul Tansy Player 1996 - 2010
Paul Cunningham Player 1996 - 2007
Gareth Thom Player 1996 - 2007
Scott Wallace Player 1996 - 2006
Stephen Sproule Player 1996 - 2006

Read more: Long serving members of LAFC


Leith Athletic on Twitter Leith Athletic on Facebook

Home | News | Sponsors | Teams | History | Merchandise | Kit | Resources | Testimonials | Contacts

Website developed by Neil Masters. All material is copyrighted to Leith Athletic. All rights reserved.